Tuesday, June 28, 2011

An Unlikely Pair

Last weekend, me and family were guests at a graduation open house.  Rarely does a June past that we do not have at least one open house to attend.  The recent high school graduate was proudly sharing his plans for the future while guests dived into plates of delicious food and caught up with family and friends that they had not seen in some time.  To be honest - I had never met the graduate and had only met his dad and step-mother a hand full of times.  My husband, however, spends more time with the graduate's dad than he does with me.  They are office cube mates and over the years have grown into true friends.

Usually, I would find myself being quite uncomfortable in a situation such as this.  I am not real great in a group of people and I am markedly worse when the cheese stands alone.  But for some reason - this was different.  The kids ran off to play and my husband mingled around while I found a chair on the edge of the tent and just observed.  My curiosity had gotten the best of me and I was searching the crowd for the ex-wife. 

The relationship has always sparked my curiosity.  They live a short distance from one another and even the children from their new marriages are friends and attend the same school. 

As I refelected on my current relational troubles, I couldn't help but ask myself why a man and his ex-wife could share the same air while so many that I have loved and cared about have been absent for years.  Such an unlikely pair, a man and his ex-wife, hosting a party for their son.  I wonder if the graduate know just how lucky he is? 

"And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving each other, just as God also in Christ forgave you." Ephesians 4:32

Easier said than done - but isn't everything?

No comments:

Post a Comment